Chocolate Hazelnut Pistachio Cookie Cake
This is a special cake I invented for my mom’s birthday. Almost every ingredient was picked out specifically for what I know about her tastes. She loves pistachios (especially in ice cream) so I made pistachio cookies. The cookies were based off of a simple peanut butter cookie recipe that I made for her once on a whim and she adored. I also made my own pistachio butter with organic refined coconut oil (a healthy fat that she loves to cook with.) The frosting was made from Neufchatel. It’s a french cream cheese with 1/3rd the fat and the cream cheese that I always use in her favorite frosting recipe. The chocolate hazelnut spread I used was the brand I brought home from France so that I could recreate the crepes I had loved so she could taste them. The ganache was made from a high quality milk chocolate that we both fell in love with a few years ago when we made homemade toffee.
I also chose to make the layers out of cookies instead of cake because we were traveling on her birthday. I had to make something that would stand up well and last well. The cake actually tasted even better. It acted like a well made fruitcake, where the flavors just got richer and more pronounced over time. This is a perfect cake to make ahead of time. It’s unique enough to be a special occasion meal but classic enough that it suits almost everyone’s tastes.
For the cookies
- 1/3 cup pistachio butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup chopped macadamia nnuts
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 small egg or 1 egg white
- Preheat oven for 350 degrees F.
- Cream together pistachio butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, vanilla, and the egg. Mix in chopped macadamia nuts and separate into three balls. Flatten the cookies with your hand or a fork and back on parchment paper for 8 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
For the frosting
- 4 oz Neufchatel
- 3/4 cup Chocolate Hazelnut Spread (Nocciolata Rigoni di Asiago)
- 1/4 tsp chocolate extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract.
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2-3/4 tsp salt.
- Cream together Neufchatel and chocolate hazelnut cream until smooth and slightly lighter in color.
- Mix in 1/4 tsp of vanilla,chocolate,and almond extract.
- Slowly beat in powdered sugar,1/4 cup at a time. Add 1 tbsp of milk and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Beat in cocoa powder and salt.
- Frost the cooled cookies and set in refrigerator or freezer to let the frosting stiffen up.
For the ganache (Make after assembling and cooling the rest of the cake.)
- 1 oz (two tbsp) milk
- 3 oz finely chopped high quality milk chocolate